- ½ cup whole milk (or whipping cream, or some combination of the two)
- 1-2 tbs sugar (to taste)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract (or other extract or liqueur)
- 2 tbs tasty bits (fruit, chocolate, nuts, candy, whatever)
- 1 cup rock salt
- 1½ lbs (or about two trays) ice cubes or crushed ice
- 1 gallon-sized Ziplock bag
- 2 pint-sized Ziplock bags
To make the ice cream:
Combine milk, sugar, extract, and tasty bits in small bowl. Taste and adjust sugar if necessary.
Pour mixture into one of the small bags and seal. Place this small bag into the other small bag, and seal (you’re double bagging to keep the saltwater out).
Fill the large bag with the ice and salt, and shake briefly to combine. Place the bag of ice cream potential into the bag of ice and salt, and seal.
Shake the whole thing for 10 minutes. It gets cold and wet, so it doesn’t hurt to wear some scruffy clothes and wrap the whole thing in a towel.
Unearth the bag of soft-serve, and enjoy. You can put it in a bowl if you have the patience.