Because the WRC Publicist application deadline fell during a busy time for PSU students, we’ve decided to extend it!
Applications now will be accepted until
Sunday, December 13th at Midnight.
WRC Student Position
Qualified applicants must support the Women’s Resource Center’s mission and values, and participate in creating a work environment which challenges systems of privilege and oppression and strives for equity.
These are 12 month, year-round positions. The number of hours anticipated is an anticipated average over 12 months, and the selected student will work more at busier times and schedule approved vacations during slower times. Scheduling is flexible, and aside from staff meetings, students may reset schedules each term in response to changing class schedules.
All WRC staff members are required to provide back-up support to the front desk, which at times includes responding to support students in crises.
· Candidates must have experience volunteering with the WRC or with Student Activities.
· All staff must be able to attend a weekly staff meeting every Tuesday morning from 11-12.
· Must have great collaborative and social skills
· You must maintain a GPA of 2.0 UG, 3.0 Grad and register for a minimum 6 UG credits, or 5 Grad credits each term that you receive a stipend. One term off per year is allowed, with stipulations outlined in the student stipend policy.
· The selected candidates will receive a monthly stipend of $778.
· This position begins immediately and runs through June 30, 2010. Students may reapply each year.
Interested parties should:
· Submit a resume and cover letter and three references electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
· Include the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line
· A unique resume and cover letter should be sent separately for each position applied for.
· You are encouraged to have your materials reviewed by the
· Application deadline is Monday, December 7 at 5 pm.
The Publicist will assist the WRC coordinator in developing and distributing physical and electronic marketing materials to promote the programming and mission of the Women’s
- Use Social networking, and electronic medium like Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and the WRC blog to raise awareness of the WRC and publicize events and programming
- Create posters, press releases, descriptions, and publicity for all WRC sponsored events and ensure their thorough and timely dispersal
- Work with contracted marketing specialists and graphic designers as appropriate in developing a comprehensive WRC brand
- Collaborate with other staff and be open to receiving feedback on outgoing WRC messages at weekly staff meetings.
- Develop informational packets to represent the WRC to potential community partners, at orientations, etc.
- Work with the a volunteer committee, the WRC Street Team, to ensure that events are photographed, and that these photos and announcements are used to keep online media dynamic and up to date
- Work with staff and volunteers to ensure a cohesive, professional, accessible, inclusive, and consistent message and face is presented externally.
- In collaboration with other staff, develop systems, policies, and procedures to ensure that information gets to you in a timely manner and that the process for publicizing all events can become systematized, streamlined, and uniform.
- Network with the campus and community to market the goals and unique features of the WRC
- Be smart and tasteful when working with images and typography
- Be proficient with Adobe Photoshop
- Refresh materials as appropriate, Monthly calendar publication, quarterly website text updates, and annual brochure updates. Others as needed.
- Assist with print production and distribution
- Be proactive in gathering new material for the event calendar, website, and social networking sites and in ensuring a publicity request form is completed for all events
- Maintain publicity request form database and ensure all post-event data is entered
- Be responsible for all other electronic publicity including sending event descriptions to related listservs, the webmail campus messages, the Daily Vanguard, and other campus calendars
- Design and order WRC promotional items and swag (e.g. travel mugs, t-shirts, temporary tattoos)
- Have experience with website maintenance (familiarity with Drupal a plus)
- Maintain the WRC website, including weekly updates to news and events, quarterly maintenance of programming descriptions, and other additions to the site as necessary.
- Develop and distribute the WRC’s Weekly Listserve.
- Be proactive in gathering new material for the Google online event calendar, website, and listerve.
This is a new student leadership position and a great professional development opportunity. The selected student will receive a stipend award in appreciation for their service. Estimated time commitment is 21 hours per week, which includes a weekly staff meeting and check-in with the WRC Coordinator. As a new position, responsibilities will be prioritized and renegotiated as needed to ensure a manageable yet ambitious, workload.
The candidate selected will have strong marketing and social networking skills, a propensity for being really organized, developing systems, and a knack/interest in graphic design and technology skills. Experience working with Photoshop and Microsoft Office highly preferred.